Bank Counselling and Compliance
Few industries are as fiercely competitive and as aggressively regulated and supervised as banking. Buckley delivers regulatory, enforcement, transactional, and litigation counsel to federal and state-chartered depository institutions and their holding companies.
Our clients include banking institutions of all sizes — global banks, domestic banks, regional and community banks, and specialty banks. We also help banks, financial services providers, and fintech companies perform “whole institution” enterprise-level oversight — from risk and data management to capital planning, governance, and other prudential issues — which can resolve regulators’ concerns, help firms grow, and expedite the lifting of limitations.
- We conducted a comprehensive compliance review for a large bank to identify laws and regulations applicable to various lines of business and internal bank processes, including deposits, credit cards, mortgages, and consumer loans, and to review the related support functions of a number of affiliates of the bank.
- We have provided ongoing regulatory advice to a bank, including evaluation of its Community Reinvestment Act performance and related issues, assistance with fair lending self-assessments, review of the bank's appraisal program, and advice on multifamily loan origination policy based on state-issued guidance.
- We advised a publicly traded, multinational financial services corporation in its efforts to acquire U.S. banking operations, including the performance of extensive due diligence on the target bank and analysis of the proposed business plans. We also advised the company as it considered the bank holding company application process, assessing the proposed transaction against applicable banking law, including the Bank Holding Company Act and the Change in Bank Control Act; drafting application materials; engaging with state and federal regulators; and advising the company on the steps necessary to obtain regulatory approval and analyzing alternative transaction structures.
- We assisted a national bank to ensure that its online mortgage loan origination portal was compliant with relevant federal consumer financial laws, including the Truth in Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, ESIGN Act, and CAN-SPAM Act, by identifying features of the portal that triggered key regulatory requirements or could attract regulatory scrutiny, and developing procedures and scripts designed to assist mortgage applicants.
- We advised a large U.S.-based financial institution on its participation in a mobile P2P payments network. We reviewed the network’s operating rules and payment transactions, renegotiating existing contracts to enable its participation, and negotiating extensive amendments to its existing payment processing and related outsourcing contractual arrangements to handle transactions by its customers on the network.
- We assisted a large international financial institution prepare reports demonstrating compliance with the requirements of a U.S. banking agency consent order.
- We advised a private equity fund on regulatory due diligence for a noncontrolling equity investment in a bank participating in marketplace lending.